Sunday, February 8, 2009

Who needs a bath?

In this whole big remodeling project, there has been lots of exciting progress and plenty to look forward to, but most of all, I need a bath. Grandma P's house (which we're renting now) has only a shower. Some people enjoy a good glass of wine; lounging in the bathtub is my getaway. I've been without that for a year. While it's also easier to wrangle two muddy little girls into a tub than a shower, this is mostly about me.

So here it is, the bathtub of my dreams. Kohler model K-1159. It's not a particularly fancy or expensive bathtub, but it will hold 72 gallons of water at its maximum, and any number of kids. I've special ordered a different drain so none of those kids will have a trip lever poking them in the back. Most of the Kohler tubs have names like Mariposa, Archer or Portrait. To get a name as exquisite as Caribbean or Purist, you have to pay $2k and up. This one is simply called 7236, in homage to its measurements. I think I'll name it myself.

Our shower, on the other hand, has a name ... or two. The walls are Kohler Devonshire. I figure it can't be too sophisticated if they sell it at Home Depot. The receptor (the base, what sits on the floor) is Sterling Intrigue. The doors are also Sterling Intrigue, in Deep Bronze with the Naturalist glass texture (leaves all over the place, my new addiction). I'm telling myself that I carefully chose the walls to reflect the architectural detail in the arches from downstairs, but the truth is that the price was right and this one didn't have little grooves I'd have to (not) clean.

I considered saving the bucks and going with a simple shower curtain. Then I remembered that new drywall for the kitchen ceiling resulting from kids who don't know how to keep water on the correct side of the curtain is even more expensive.

No comments: