Thursday, February 26, 2009

Shower door saga continues

This better be a wonderful shower.

I choose a shower and door. Our contractor says the door won't fit the shower. So I pick a new shower.

The plumber says the door will cost $2,000. Yes, four digits. It should actually be a small fraction of that. Turns out his supplier couldn't get that door, so this is to replicate it in a custom order. I say no thank you.

I call my supplier. My supplier cannot get the door either. He can order one to be custom made. He can't tell me the price until it is ordered. I say no thank you.

I go to big-box Lowe's. They can get the door. Easily, and at a reasonable price. I use Google to learn I can save 20% more if I order from an online supplier. I place the order.

It has been five days. Today I receive an e-mail acknowledging the damage claim I filed. But I filed no such claim. My door has not arrived.

I check the UPS tracking page. My door is ... missing. It consists of three large pieces of glass, measuring roughly 25 x 75 inches. Missing?
Meanwhile, I attempt to order the second-choice shower. My supplier says he can't get it. I am about to become incredulous, since I received a price from his comany two weeks ago. Then he says his company is in receivership with the manufacturer. "The banks have us," he tells me. I say I'm sorry.
I find that Lowe's has it in stock. Then I miraculously learn that the local lumber yard (I really do prefer to buy local) can order it for 20% less and have it in a week. Thank you, I say. Here is my order.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is it that construction projects so often come with stories like this? Regardless of the economy. How frustrating!

Sue said...

So true, Karen, and that's a good reminder that we're actually quite fortunate. I have heard such horror stories!